Not the selfie I wanted to take today; but, after much thought, remembering this article I read last week, limping around after yesterday’s ride/previous day’s run (it was hard to disguise), and talking with my wife: I went to see the doctor today about my right knee. He’s a cyclist, so I figure he would be the best place to start opposed to an urgent care place. [After hearing my story, he said, “50K!?!” and edited his notes to read “avid” runner… :)]
- Diagnosis: After pressing, pulling, twisting, etc., he felt there was no obvious signs of a break or fracture and that there probably wasn’t any damage to muscles, tendons, or cartilage. He felt it is probably a strain (back from my 5/12 run and aggravated by everything since) – no need to x-ray it or do an MRI right now.
- Treatment: No running for ten days. Take ibuprofen for the 10 day rest as well and ice the knee during the day at work and in the evening at home. When I asked if I could ride my bike, he said, “Do you train half-way?” I said, “No.” He said, “Then rest that way.” After 10 days, I’m to go for a run, see how it feels, and we will go from there. Hopefully, he said, I won’t need to come back and see him. I’m hoping for that too!
So, no running (or riding) for ten days. I’m bummed, but glad it appears to be just a strain and know that resting is the best thing.
I’m working on alternatives to keep active…
Training Journal – 5/28/13:
- Current plan: San Francisco Marathon – 2nd Half Training Plan
- Today’s session: 4 mile easy run @ 8:41-9:41
- Comments: Rest day called because of my knee – which now counts as day 1/10…