ACK! Running behind on my posts in the Home Stretch!!!
Bible In 90 Days – Day 82
Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:1 – Galatians 3:25
- Risen = Rise. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 20-21, 56-57.
- Short, but POWERFUL. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14. A favorite verse…got it posted on my monitor at work as a reminder…it’s deep.
- Pass It On. 2 Corinthians 1:4- 6. Like many blessings and benefits from the Lord, we MUST pass on the comfort that we have so graciously been given. FYI – the person who we think needs it LEAST, may need it MOST!
- Unveiled. 2 Corinthians 3:16-18. When I read this, I thought about lyrics from two songs: Soon (Ligertwood) and Come For Me (Hall):
I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul with be satisfied
Soon and very soon
Come For Me
Finally the voice I have followed for life
Has a glorious face that is lit up with light
- New, truly NEW! 2 Corinthians 5:17. New and different…that is what we are in Christ. I have read this many times, but I read a blog post the other day that gave me a different perspective. When Jesus is in our life, our natural reactions get messed up – or at least they are supposed to if He is in control and we have truly yielded our lives to Him. Our old self says, “I want to hate, I want to get even, I want to rebut, I want to have ‘justice’, I want retribution, I want “them to hurt just as much as I do”, I want…”. Our NEW (Christ-controlled) self says, “Christ has forgiven me and, as much as I don’t want to, I must forgive.” This is a hard one at times…
- A New Person. Galatians 2:20. See above.
Bible In 90 Days – Day 83
Reading: Galatians 3:26 – Colossians 4:18
- Not Optional, but… . Galatians 5:22-26. I think many (including me) like to think that this fruits of the Spirit are a menu of optional behavior…but they are not. The cool part is that we can’t even scratch the surface of any one of them without God’s help. We try – even succeed at some (though not on our own) – but we can’t truly possess any of them without the Holy Spirit’s help…power with some People or in some situations!
- We all Love Gifts! Ephesians 2:8-10. We all love gifts, but the gift of salvation is often hard for people to accept. We all have baggage – some may be in better shape than others – but we all do. We think we need to do stuff to make up for our nicked, scuffed, and dented life – BUT WE DON”T. God gave us the free gift of salvation through the payment of His Son. Sure we do “stuff” – but it is in response to the gift…not to receive it. Praise God!
- Work Life. Ephesians 6:5-9. Great passage to ponder for work each day…
- Ill-Equipped. Ephesians 6:13-18. I think at times I am ill-equipped for stuff. I need to be conscious of each of these part more.
- Lose the Pedigree. Philippians 3:4-8. In Paul’s day and in his culture – his pedigree was impeccable. But Christ changed him. We need to lose our quest for image and status (no matter how “humble we are) and appreciate the gift we’ve received as Christ Followers.
- Timely…and hard. Philippians 4:6-8. O, the waiting! We’re adopting (at some point in the near future…please GOD) and are waiting for the “call” – the call that our kids have been located and we’ve been matched! Until then – we try not to be anxious.
- EVERYTHING. Colossians 3:17. Just like Romans 12:1, this is another favorite verse. I really like the way it reads in The Message paraphrase, “Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.”
Bible In 90 Days – Day 84
Reading: I Thessalonians 1:1 – Philemon
- God’s Will. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. I really love verses where we see what God’s will is so clearly!
- Posture. 1 Timothy 2:8. How often is my posture inconsistent with humility in prayer?
- Youth. 1 Timothy 4:12. A call to not let people look down on one’s youth. I think many neglect the rest of the verse – I mean the section after the “BUT”. I know I can get an attitude in this area – desiring respect by people who are older than me. The KEY here is setting “an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” A tall order…
- Blog. 2 Timothy 2:15. The source for the title of my blog! From my About page: “We traditionally associate the word “workman” with someone’s job. To me, this verse really goes beyond that narrow definition and represents everything in life. My heart’s desire is to be found (most importantly by God, but also by others) as someone who is faithful to the Lord in all that I do; whether it is at home, work, church, with friends, whatever.”
- Speed Reading is NOT Enough. 2 Timothy 4:2. The Bible in 90 Days has been a great experience – I will do it again. That said, it is not the way to be prepared in and out of season (as this verse instructs). Purposeful study of God’s Word is the key here. BIND does have its purpose…