December 2013: A month that took forever to get here and seemed to just blow by!
- HIGH: Gritted out my third marathon!
- LOW: Ran my third marathon like a half and fueled it like a 10K; thus, a PR was missed/squandered.
As far as new equipment & such:
- Buff. I am not a viewer of the Survivor TV show, but knew about Buffs from watching a few episodes. This month, I bought a couple of Buffs to try them and really like them. Like them enough that I now have four in my drawer: two Polar Reversible, a Reflective Buff, and a Visor Buff. I’ve worn the Polar and Reflective on my runs and rides and really have appreciated them in the cool weather. I have mainly worn them as a cap on runs and a hood on my rides. Wearing as a balaclava while exercising seems to result in overheating – but that might just be me.
- Altra 3-Sum shoes. I was at the point mileage-wise in my road shoe inventory that I needed to get a new pair. I had been reading a lot of good things about Altra Zero Drop shoes and, after some web research and a chat with Altra Customer Service, placed my order! I went with the 3-Sum, since I will be doing a duathlon in March 2014. After this morning’s run, I have 58 miles on them and really like the way they fit and feel on a run. I may write a review at some point – maybe at the 100-mile mark.
With that, here are the stats for the month that was December 2013.
- A run-focused program in preparation for the ZombieRunner Quarry Lakes Marathon on 12/14, a slight week of rest, then started to train for April 2014’s Big Sur International Marathon. The plan is: riding on Mondays, running Tuesday-Thursday, doing a run/bike combination workout on Fridays, and a long run on Sundays. Saturday is usually a rest day, unless there is a race or a needed shakeout run.
- 12/14: ZombieRunner Quarry Lakes Marathon [report]
- 12/28: Brazen New Year’s Eve (Almost) Half Marathon [report]
- Race Count: Month: 2 / YTD: 15 / Lifetime: 41
- 5k: 0 / 0 / 7
- 10k: 0 / 1 / 3
- Half Marathon: 1 / 11 / 20
- Marathon: 1 / 2 / 3
- 50K: 0 / 1 / 1
- Other: 0 / 0 / 7
- Ride Count: Month: 0 / YTD: 1 / Lifetime: 1
- Century: 0 / 1 / 1