December…where didst thou go?
This was a pretty tough month on the home front, but still a solid month of training and the milestone of my first FULL MARATHON! Training consisted of a mix of road running (36%), trail running (28%), and cycling sessions (36%.) My job shut down for the holidays, so I took advantage of that to squeeze in some additional trail runs and cycling.
As far as new equipment, I bought some winter-weather running tights, some fenders for my bike, and added SaltStick to my pre/mid-race routine (after learning the hard way during the marathon.) I went back & forth on buying a trainer for winter cycle training, but opted for the fenders – I may still splurge, but the fenders do work pretty good…
Anyway, here are the stats for the month that was December 2012:
- Total: 144.3 [-27.24 from November]
- Shortest run: 2.45 [-.09 from November]
- Longest run: 26.29 [+6.22 from November]
- YTD: 1771.68
- Overall Avg: 8:44 [+:26 from November]
- Slowest Avg: 11:46 [+3:03 from November]
- Fastest Avg: 8:02 [+:23 from November]
- YTD Avg: 8:51
Total Running Time:
- 23.78 hours or 1,280 minutes [-2:45 from November]
- YTD: 262.81 hours or 15,758.87 minutes
- 82.9 miles [+24.88 from November]
- YTD: 439.99
- Avg. of 15.9 mph [+0.1 from November]
- YTD Avg: 14.7 mph
Total Cycling Time:
- 5.23 hours or 314 minutes [+1:33:00 from November]
- YTD: 29.39 hours or 1763 minutes
- Finished the 18-week training program for the Honolulu Marathon that I’d been following – though I retitled it ZombieRunner Bay Trail toward the end.
- On December 24, I started my next 18-week program for the Big Sur Marathon on April 28th. The program is basically Hal Higdon’s Intermediate 2 Marathon Training Guide with customization for planned travel and home life (I followed the Intermediate 1 plan for Honolulu.) Pacing for my plan is calculated using my half marathon PR, the McMillan Running Calculator, and selecting a pace in the middle of the resulting “Optimal Training Paces” for the various workouts. On the plan, Monday is a 60 to 80-minute cycling session to add some cross training.
- Consumed: 105,979 [-442 from October]
- Burned: 20,857 [-2,303 from October]
- YTD: C: 1,178,157/ B: 224,643
- YTD Race Count: 21
- 5k: 1
- 10k: 2
- Half Marathon: 9
- Marathon: 1
- Other: 8
Training Journal – 1/4/13:
- Current plan: Big Sur Marathon Training Plan – W2/D5
- Today’s session: 5 mile easy run @ 8:37-9:37 pace
- Comments: I did 5.52 @ 8:26. First day back after taking 2 off…I was a bit stiff, but it felt good!