In general, the following are true:
- The dental office has “pretty smiles” photos strategically placed throughout the facility…and always where you can see them while sitting in the chair and receiving “counseling” from the dentist.
- The magazines in the dental office are predominantly geared toward female patients…or at least it seems that way.
- Most offices have a child’s “play area”, though some may be better than others.
- The dentist will be at least 12 to 15 minutes late for an appointment.
- The “here we go” tease. You know, you hear “<insert name>, it’s your turn!” Then, you’re ushered to the room to wait another 10 minutes…or longer.
- The dental assistant will engage in pleasant, small talk, attempting to mitigate the dentist’s tardiness.
- The dental assistant WILL place the ice-cold bib chain on the patient’s bare neck rather than outside the shirt collar. “Oh, is that cold?” <tee-hee-hee>
- Once it’s your turn, the dentist will also make pleasant, small talk, thereby attempting to further mitigate his tardiness. [The thing is, he’s a nice guy and you know it’s probably not his fault he’s running late…]
There are probably other “dental truths”, but these are a few that came to mind as I was waiting for my 45-minute delayed appointment today.
Oh, and I have another appointment tomorrow…!