Whew! What. a. month. I’m back on track with my running, courtesy of my foam roller! Also, for the second month in a row, I have expanded cycling from a “token” part of the program to more of a significant role. I have really been enjoying the additional bicycling sessions and actually have seen some improvement in my running efficiency because of it. I guess the articles touting the benefits of cross training are right.
No business trips this past month – WooHoo!
- HIGH: I’ve been able to run continuously on all workouts and, with consistent used of the foam roller, have not had any recurrence of IT band issues.
- LOW: Wow…I can’t really think of one for this month! Maybe the fact that I did not do any trail runs this month?
As far as new equipment:
- New pair of Hoka One One Bondi Speeds. With just over 200 miles on the first pair, I picked up a second pair to start working into the run sessions. I really love these shoes!
- Bib Shorts. I picked up a pair of bib shorts from Pactimo, thinking that I’d give them a try. After one ride, the verdict: love them! I actually picked up a second pair mid-month, during a sale they were having. I wasn’t sure if I would like them, but they actually are pretty comfortable and are now my preferred shorts for riding.
- Speed/Cadence Sensor. I got a Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor for the bike and am loving the data – especially the cadence. I think it has actually improved my efficiency on the bike, keeping me mindful of that aspect.
- Goody Bento Box from TIMBUK2. I had been toying with getting one of these and it was on sale one week, so I jumped. I really like it and appreciate the additional carrying capacity, freeing my jersey pockets for other essentials.
- BioLogic iPhone 5 Case. I had the iPhone 4s version of this mount and really liked it. When I upgraded my phone, getting this was a no brainer. I sold my old mount in eBay, so that was cool…someone else is now enjoying it!
- K-Edge GO BIG Pro Mount for my GoPro 2. I picked up this mount for my GoPro 2 after reading some pretty poor reviews on the standard bike mount. I really like it and the resulting stabilization of the videos. I have not had time to compile any of the videos…at some point I may take the time.
- Blue Steel Sports Anti-Chafe Cream. I have been getting samples of this in SWAG bags from Brazen Racing events for a while and throwing them away. I tried the sample I got in the Summer Breeze SWAG bag, really like it for cycling, and ordered a tube. Good stuff!
- Strava. Not equipment, but I started using Strava toward the later part of the month and really like the analytical aspects. I’m not sure about the Premium service yet though.
With that, here are the stats for the month that was August 2013:
Running [15 sessions]
- Total: 115.64 [-1.48 from July]
- Shortest run: 4.01 [+0.59 from July]
- Longest run: 20.01 [+5.9 from July]
- YTD: 1224.47
- Overall Avg: 8:16 [-1:40 from July]
- Slowest Avg: 9:27 [-4:12 from July]
- Fastest Avg: 7:39 [-0:10 from July]
- YTD Avg: 9:01
Total Running Time:
- 16.29 hours or 977 minutes [-1:31:00 from July]
- YTD: 185.56 hours or 11,193.38 minutes
Cycling [13 sessions]
- 286.92 miles [+68.89 from July]
- Shortest ride: 8.31 [+0.01 from July]
- Longest ride: 51.01 [+18.18 from July]
- YTD: 691.9
- Avg. of 16.7 mph [+0.2 from July]
- Slowest Avg: 12.8 mph [-3.2 from July]
- Fastest Avg: 17.8 mph [-0.5 from July]
- YTD Avg: 16.2 mph
Total Cycling Time:
- 17.47 hours or 1048 minutes [+3:40:00 from July]
- YTD: 42.87 hours or 2572 minutes
Multisport Transitions [4 sessions]
T1 – Swim to Bike:
- None. I’m listing this here for someday in the future…but not yet.
T2 – Bike to Run:
- Number of sessions: 4
- Overall Avg: 3:07 [-0:54 from July]
- Slowest Time: 3:19 [-1:41 from July]
- Fastest Time: 2:58 [-0:30 from July]
- YTD Avg: 3:34
Combined Training Stats [Month // Year]:
- Mileage: 402.56 // 1916.37
- Time (hrs): 33:45 // 229:26
- I have not formally settled on a program…which is weird after strictly following one until May. I have been loosely following a program that mixes running and cycling sessions as follows:
- Mon: Bike – 1 hour
- Tues: Run – 4 to 6 miles
- Wed: Bike – 1 hour
- Thurs: Run – 7 to 10 miles
- Fri: BRick – 1 hour
- Sat: Rest (and pancakes!)
- Sun: 2+ hour long run or ride
- Given that I am finalizing my races for the rest of 2013, I will be working up a series of race-specific training plans in the next week.
- Consumed: 108,105 [+7,133 from July]
- Burned: 30,365 [+4,996 from July]
- YTD: C: 822,204 / B: 185,076
- 7/13: Brazen’s Summer Breeze Half Marathon [report]
- Race Count: Month: 1 / YTD: 9 / Lifetime: 35
- 5k: 0 / 0 / 7
- 10k: 0 / 0 / 2
- Half Marathon: 1 / 7 / 16
- Marathon: 0 / 1 / 2
- 50K: 0 / 1 / 1
- Other: 0 / 0 / 7
Training Journal – 9/3/13:
- Current plan: Mix of running and biking
- Today’s session: 6-mile run
- Comments: I did 6.2 miles @ 8:20 avg pace, avg cadence 94, & a run time of 52:05.