May was quite a month…
The intent was to leverage my Big Sur Marathon training and run the Horseshoe Lake 50K – which were separated by three weeks. That started out fine, but a tweaked knee on a 5/12 trail run and then getting a stomach virus that knocked me out of commission for fours days cut into my training/mileage. Still, it was a decent month, as you can see below. Since the 50K was on trails, road running dipped to 23%, trail running ended up at 49%, and bicycling at 28%.
After the 50K, I really dropped training and rested a bit more than I usually do – though that mostly had to do with my knee flaring up, visiting the doctor, and then being put on 10-days of complete rest from running and cycling. I did have one “first” this month: I did a “brick” workout: 8.25-mile ride + 3.43-mile run. It was interesting and, once I return to better conditioning, I may work those in occasionally. No business travel this month, so that was nice.
- HIGH: I ran a 50K! I’m an ultramarathoner!
- LOW: My knee issues
As far as new equipment, one this month:
- I picked up a Garmin 910XT. I had been thinking about getting one of these for a while and saw that they were $100 off at Road Runner Sports…so I jumped! I really like it and, violating the “no new equipment on races” rule, wore it for the first time on the 50K. It went great and I am still getting familiar with it.
With that, here are the stats for the month that was May 2013:
Running [14 sessions]
- Total: 136.35 [-47.74 from April]
- Shortest run: 3.38 [-.11 from April]
- Longest run: 31.0 [+4.66 from April]
- YTD: 866.04
- Overall Avg: 9:46 [+1:13 from April]
- Slowest Avg: 12:46 [+1:18 from April]
- Fastest Avg: 7:59 [+:16 from April]
- YTD Avg: 8:45
Total Running Time:
- 23.88 hours or 1,433 minutes [-2:56:00 from April]
- YTD: 129.19 hours or 7,751.25 minutes
Cycling [3 sessions]
- 51.76 miles [No biking in April]
- YTD: 186.95
- Avg. of 15.9 mph [No biking in April]
- YTD Avg: 16.1 mph
Total Cycling Time:
- 3.27hours or 196 minutes [No biking in April]
- YTD: 11.6 hours or 696 minutes
- Pre-50K: I was kinda in limbo this month as far as a structured training program. I had mapped out a post-Big Sur/50K bridge plan that was sub-10 mile runs during the week and higher mileage/longer periods on my feet on the weekends. All that went south with my knee issues and the stomach virus that I ended up getting.
- Post-50K: Not structured at all. I had planned more rest and gradual return to running on a plan, but with my knee flaring up during the 50K and the subsequent mandatory R&R, I ended up with three bike rides and two runs during the twelve-day period.
- Consumed: 94,746 [-18,068 from April – due to no running/cycling]
- Burned: 19,894 [-2,981 from April – due to no running/cycling]
- YTD: C: 517,022 / B: 113,776
- 5/19: Horseshoe Lake 50K [report]
- Race Count: Month: 1 / YTD: 6 / Lifetime: 33
- 5k: 0 / 0 / 7
- 10k: 0 / 0 / 2
- Half Marathon: 0 / 4 / 13
- Marathon: 0 / 1 / 2
- 50K: 1 / 1 / 1
- Other: 0 / 0 / 7
Training Journal – 6/8/13:
- Current plan: San Francisco Marathon – 2nd Half Training Plan
- Today’s session: Rest
- Comments: nada