Well, July started with a diagnosis for my “knee” problems – IT Band Syndrome – and ended with a viable remedy that has resulted in a return to running continuously without having to use a Run/Walk routine. BOOYAH!
With those two things alone, I call July a great month. I’ll admit it, I was in the dumps about things at the end of June…
July also saw an increase in the amount of bicycling I am doing as part of my training. At first, it was to stay active while giving my knees, and then ITB, less pounding. I was previously cross training (wink, wink), but I turned it up a notch this month. I increased the days per week I rode and I think that also benefited my ITBS. With the increase in cycling, I’ve added BRicks to my weekly program too. I’m having fun and think the increase in cycling also might mark a transition for me to multisport, though I’m not using the “T” word yet. yet. There’s that scary “S” word that I need to consider, evaluate, plan for, etc.
I had one business trip this month and did a great, though hot and humid, trail run in Virginia’s Prince William Forest Park.
- HIGH: Actually two: 1) Ran the Quarry Lakes Half and beat my time from the SF Second Half and 2) Figured out how to address my IT band Syndrome!
- LOW: IT band issues (though only for half of the month), to the point that I DNF’d a workout…for the first time. I was pretty dejected that day…
As far as new equipment:
- Foam Roller. I bought this the day before the Zoom Quarry Lakes Half and I know it made a difference. I stared using it consistently and I am sold on the thing!
- I bought a pair of Triathlon shorts that were on sale at Sports Basement…for my Brick workouts…not the “T” thing yet. Yet.
With that, here are the stats for the month that was July 2013:
Running [14 sessions]
- Total: 117.12 [-8.55 from June]
- Shortest run: 3.42 [+1.27 from June]
- Longest run: 14.11 [-4.4 from June]
- YTD: 1108.83
- Overall Avg: 9:56 [-:17 from June]
- Slowest Avg: 13:39 [+1:27 from June]
- Fastest Avg: 7:49 [-1:32 from June]
- YTD Avg: 9:08
Total Running Time:
- 18.80 hours or 1,188 minutes [-1:29:00 from June]
- YTD: 170.27 hours or 10,216.12 minutes
Cycling [14 sessions]
- 218.03 miles [No biking in June]
- YTD: 404.98
- Avg. of 16.5 mph [No biking in June]
- YTD Avg: 16.1 mph
Total Cycling Time:
- 13.8 hours or 828 minutes [No biking in June]
- YTD: 25.4 hours or 1524 minutes
Multisport Transitions [3 sessions]
T1 – Swim to Bike:
- None. I’m listing this here for someday in the future…but not yet. Yet.
T2 – Bike to Run:
- Number of sessions: 3
- Overall Avg: 4:01
- Slowest Time: ~5:00
- Fastest Time: 3:28
- YTD Avg: 4:01
- I have not really followed a structured program few several months – which is weird, since I followed structured, deliberately planned, programs most of last year and until my 50K in May. After my IT Band flare up, I ditched the structure and have been winging it week-to-week or sometimes, day-to-day. Not really what I like, but it was what worked at the time.
- That said, I am somewhat settled on a program that mixes running and cycling sessions each week. I will be planning out a more structured plan soon, based on upcoming races/runs.
- Consumed: 100,972 [+4,867 from June]
- Burned: 25,369 [+9,803 from June]
- YTD: C: 714,099 / B: 154,711
- 7/13: Zoom Quarry Lakes Half Marathon [report]
- Race Count: Month: 1 / YTD: 8 / Lifetime: 34
- 5k: 0 / 0 / 7
- 10k: 0 / 0 / 2
- Half Marathon: 1 / 6 / 15
- Marathon: 0 / 1 / 2
- 50K: 0 / 1 / 1
- Other: 0 / 0 / 7
Training Journal – 8/1/13:
- Current plan: Mix of running and cycling
- Today’s session: 60 Minute BRick and day one of carb loading for a half marathon on Saturday.
- BIKE: 8.31 miles @ 17.0 mph avg TIME: 29:21
- TRANSITION: 3:11 min
- RUN: 5.18 miles @ 7:42 avg pace. TIME: 39:54
- TOTALS: Distance: 13.49 miles, Time: 1:12:25