October 2013 was split in two: final training for Foxy’s Fall Century on October 19th (with a half marathon thrown in) and then a return to a run-focused training plan in preparation for a late fall marathon. But honestly, Foxy’s was the focus – the culmination of two months of training: 895.13 miles over 51:56:27 (h:m:s:) of invested time. It was a blast and, even though I am a runner first, I can see myself doing more organized rides in the future.
That said, I’m glad to be back to a run-focused plan, though my run base totally suffered. Back to the building stage…
I took a quick business trip to Oklahoma City and had two great runs while there [one, two]. It was taper week for Foxy’s, so, rather than riding or running in the hotel fitness center, I mapped out a route around a local lake.
- HIGH: Rode my first century and registered for my first multisport event!
- LOW: No trail running…
As far as new equipment & such:
- Compression Socks. I usually wear compression sleeves when I run and recovery compression socks after long runs and always when I fly. When I was at the RnR San Jose Expo, I saw CEP’s Dynamic+ Short Socks and decided to give them a try. They are crew length, so I figured they would be OK for running and riding. They worked great during training rides and runs, so I wore a pair on Foxy’s. I think they help control swelling over the 100 miles and has helped on runs as well. I actually have worn them in combination with my sleeves (which the CEP rep mentioned) and
Cycling Leg Warmers. Having already become a firm users of arm warmers, I decided to give Cycling Leg Warmers a try. I went with Pactimo’s product and really like them. I wore them through the lunch stop on Foxy’s and they worked great. When I took them off, they stowed in the jersey pocket just fine (along with my arm warmers.)
With that, here are the stats for the month that was October 2013. I decided to display a bit differently this month…
- October 1-20: Foxy’s Fall Century Program. In preparation for FFC, training shifted to predominantly bicycling. I programed one run day each weekday (usually Wednesday) and a BRick on Fridays. That equated to about 12 miles running and between 120 and 160 miles riding each week.
- October 21-31 and November: Transitioned back to a run-focused program in preparation for a December marathon. The plan returns to ridding on Mondays, running Tuesday-Thursday, doing a on Run/Bike (or RuBi) on Fridays, and a long run on Sundays. Saturday is usually a rest day, unless there is an event or a needed shakeout run.
- Race Count: Month: 1 / YTD: 11 / Lifetime: 37
- 5k: 0 / 0 / 7
- 10k: 0 / 0 / 2
- Half Marathon: 1 / 8 / 17
- Marathon: 0 / 1 / 2
- 50K: 0 / 1 / 1
- Other: 0 / 0 / 7
- Ride Count: Month: 1 / YTD: 1 / Lifetime: 1
- Century: 1 / 1 / 1
Training Journal – 11/6/13:
- Current plan: ZRQL Marathon Training Plan
- Today’s session: 6-mile run
- Comments: My Garmin worked during the run, but went wacko when I got home and tried to synch. Based on my estimation, I did 6.5 miles @ 8:46 avg pace, & a run time of ~57:00.